Installing a pergola in your garden or terrace is one of the best resources to get shade and be able to enjoy the outdoors. These useful accessories have two functions, on the one hand, they protect from the sun, and on the other, they decorate the outdoor spaces. Below we show you the advantages and types of pergolas that you can find in the market.
Advantages of a Pergola
If you have an outdoor space, you will know how important it is to have a shaded area to cover yourself from the sun’s rays. These structures that you can find are made of various materials that allow you to enjoy contact with nature. They bring you great advantages:
- They protect you from the sun and provide privacy.
- You will get more out of the
- Decorative elements that you can choose from various types of materials.
- Its cleaning and maintenance are simple.
- It offers you an extra area where you can place a summer dining room, relax, etc.
- To install it on a terrace, take into account the space you have and the use that you are going to give it. You can customize your outdoor space.
- When placing it you will have to take into account the path of the sun.
- A pergola serves to delimit the garden or terrace.
You will find designs of all decorative styles: modern, rustic, classic, etc.
Attached or Independent Pergolas
Depending on the place where you are going to install the pergola, you can differentiate between Pergolas that are attached to a wall of the house and form an extra element to provide shade outside. Independent, which you can place in any area ofthe garden or terrace. Both models protect from inclement weather and you can use them all year round.
This material has many advantages since they add natural warmth and resist very well outside. A wooden pergola will never go out of style, they are not very expensive and their installation is simple. You can find models of different designs and costs. For their maintenance, you will have to varnish them every year to protect them.
You can choose between sawn wood that are pieces that come directly from the tree. They are not recommended to support a lot of weight, since they can have internal failures. Glued laminated, it is the most used in our country. They are manufactured in specialized establishments to avoid structural failures.
They offer a more modern version and adapt perfectly to all styles. We can differentiate between:
- Steel – which is a robust and solid material but is not very resistant to inclement weather, and is not recommended for wet areas.
- Aluminium – Light material, very resistant to sunlight. This model of pergola requires little maintenance and can be installed easily.
Pergolas of Construction
Another option you have is to make a pergola of work. They will be part of the structure of the residence and you can choose between the following materials: concrete, cement, brick, etc. You can create all kinds of designs.
- They allow regulating the temperature and intensity of the light.
- They are fully adapted to weather conditions and allow continuous use throughout the year.
- It blocks the sun’s rays and allows upward ventilation.
- They have a watertight closure to protect themselves in the cold months.
- The slats can also be oriented according to the sun’s rays.
- They protect 100% from UVA rays.
- They renew the hot air for freshness and eliminate the greenhouse effect.
Roof Coverage Solutions
Once you have chosen the material of the structure, you can choose which element you want to cover the upper part of the pergola. You can opt for the canvas. They have very good benefits: it protects up to 90% of solar radiation. You can find models in polyester or polypropylene, but the resistant ones are the mass-dyed acrylic ones; micro-perforated ones are also highly recommended.
A very economical solution to cover the pergolas is using heather or hurdle. You can install them yourself, but their durability is not very high, although it will provide a very special rustic touch. If you want to give it a more natural look, you can use bamboo poles.
Where to Locate Them?
Once you have chosen the material and dimensions of the pergola, you have to think about its location. The first things you have to look at are the characteristics of your terrain. So you will have to choose a stable place where there are no damp or soft areas and it supports the weight of the structure well. A solution may be to acquire a surface that acts as pavement.
When the good weather arrives, the outdoor spaces take centre stage. Pergolas are fixed or mobile structural elements with a covering that provide many benefits and help to decorate the garden or terrace. Take advantage of all the functions that a pergola offers you. In it, you can carry out many activities such as lunches or dinners outdoors, create a chill-out area, a practical solarium with sun loungers, add a bar cabinet, place comfortable hammocks. It will become the favourite place of all the family and friends! How do you find these tips practical to install a pergola in your garden or terrace? If you like it, why not share it on social media to help others?